RALEIGH, N.C. — Leaders from WakeEd Partnership (WakeEd) will mark the one-year anniversary of the opening of its free classroom supply store for Wake County teachers Tools4Schools, with a presentation before the Wake County Board of Education later today.
“Thanks to the generosity of this community, our sponsors and volunteers and the partnership with Wake County Public Schools, we were able to open Tools4Schools one year ago and since then have provided more than $230,000 in new classroom supplies to 2,600 Wake County teachers,” said Keith Poston, President, WakeEd Partnership. “We’re excited about what the next year will bring as we continue to reach more teachers, expand store hours, add new shopping days and explore ways to better serve ALL teachers and schools across Wake County.”
In November 2022, WakeEd Partnership surveyed over 500 educators that had shopped at Tools4Schools:
- 92% of participating teachers reported reduced out-of-pocket spending for school supplies
- 78% of participating teachers reported the program had a positive impact on student preparation
Each year North Carolina teachers spend an average of $526 on classroom supplies for their students. WakeEd’s survey of Wake County teachers who shopped at Tools4Schools reported spending even more, roughly $912 a year. Tools4Schools opened in January 2022 to help close the gap so that teachers would not have to buy these classroom items out of their own pockets and to ensure that all students have the supplies they need to focus on learning.
How you can support Tools4Schools
- Make a cash donation. All gifts are tax-deductible. Click here to donate using a debit or credit card. Checks can be mailed to WakeEd Partnership at 3101 Industrial Drive, Suite 100, Raleigh, NC 27609, with Tools4Schools on the memo line.
- Donate school supplies. In addition to our large annual Community Supply Drive in the summer, WakeEd accepts donations of new and gently used classroom supplies year-round to fill the shelves at Tools4Schools. A list of the most requested items can be found here. Donations can be dropped off at Tools4Schools, 1660 Piney Plains Rd in Cary or the WakeEd Partnership office at 3101 Industrial Dr. Ste. 100 in Raleigh. Please contact us ahead if it’s a large delivery at Tools4Schools@wakeed.org.
- Donate school supplies using our Amazon Wish List. Shop from our Amazon wishlist to buy items most requested by our teachers and ship them right to the shelves at Tools4Schools. Click here and select our Tools4Schools address at checkout.
- Donate gently used office supplies. In addition to new supplies, WakeEd Partnership takes donations of gently used items for classrooms from companies, organizations and individuals. If you are moving offices or downsizing office space, don’t forget our teachers who would love all the office supplies. Office items like staplers, hole punches and tape dispensers are always in demand.
- Host a supply drive. If your business or organization is interested in hosting your own school supply drive, click here to register your Tools4Schools classroom supply drive and click here to download our classroom supply drive kit and start collecting! If you have any questions, email us at Tools4Schools@wakeed.org.
- Volunteer at Tools4Schools. WakeEd Partnership needs volunteers to help unpack and sort supplies, stock shelves, answer teacher questions and more. If you or your family, club, or organization are interested in volunteering, click here to fill out our volunteer form online!