The Academic Standards Review Commission (ASRC) met on Monday. During the meeting, draft recommendations for Math and English Language Arts standards were shared.
The recommendations for Math standards are primarily:
- Repeal current K-8 math standards and replace them with Minnesota’s math standards
- Return to Algebra I, Geometry, and Algebra II and abandon integrated math
The recommendation for English Language Arts standards are primarily:
- Grade band standards be split into individual grade standards
- Increase clarity and detail of standards
- Align high school English content with social studies content
The ASRC is planning a series of regional meetings to seek feedback on the recommendations. As this information becomes available, we’ll share it.
The commission serves an advisory role. By December, they will provide recommendations to the State Board of Education. The State Board of Education will combine these recommendations with the ongoing work at the Department of Public Instruction.